Monday, May 24, 2010

Final Lost Thoughts on Lost's Finale

So I stayed up WAY past my bed-time, on a "school night" at that, to finally put an end to a series I have loved for several years. (Small side-note: thank you, Monica for getting me hooked on Lost. You deserve a shout-out!

I'll try to keep this brief. Haha! BRIEF and Lost Finale? No way. Well, its worth a shot, at least.

This may prove me a Lostie Light Weight but I felt a bit confused with the finale, at first. Here is a good representation of my reaction:


Things I liked:

1. Purgatory!! (well, "esque", really). The show was pegged as heavily Purgatory themed at first, then the theory thinned with passing seasons, only to have it reappear as the Flash Sideways, in the end. You are tricksy hobbitses, you Lost writers! Filthey tricksy hobbitses!!

2. Cyclical themes. This last season mirrored the first season. There were lots of mirrors in this season, too. The final moments were like the first moments: Jack, in the bamboo field with Vincent, zoom-in on the eye (see below). I love that type of completion. Could they have ended it any other way but on Jack's eye? Good job, writers (for filthey hobbitses, of course).

3. Wicked-New Mythology: A giant electromagneticky pool with a hieroglyphic plug?? Woah!


4. VINCENT! And with final scene Finale significance. I was so happy.

Things I didnt like:

I would've preferred the finale to be more about island mythology answers with cool unknowns about character fate. Not the opposite. (Yes, I read many-a interview withDamon and Carleton promising more character stuff vs mythology but dangit: I hoped they were pants on fire liar liars.) Perhaps this preference is the scifi-geek in me? I didn't care that the characters ended up happily dead with one-another. I just didn't. Too much was done last minute (imho) in terms of character development to justify an all-out character driven finale.

I could go on-and-on in this section but it comes down to this preference: mythology answers with some strong character hints would've been my cup o' tea. As it were, it was a decent cup o' tea, just my cup would've had more flavor and less sugar.

What Made Me Cry:

I can proudly say I made it all the way to the end. Well, until Vincent went to Jack in Jack's last moments. Oh man- I lost it. Kill off a ton of people and I'm ok. Put a dog in the scene and I'm done.

Though, the picture above makes me laugh, also. Vincent is SO eyeing a milk bone off-scene going "wait for it...wait for it...milk bone will be mine....stay by bloody dude...staaayyy...milk bone....".

Any thoughts, comments, angered annuciations?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I've included most of my thoughts in our email conversations but I was pretty confused at the end. It's taken some time and some rewatching of the conversation with Christian for me to feel like I understand it more. I do like mainly the character stuff but my analytical side was wanting answers dangit! I'm hoping the creators will stay quiet for a while to allow theories and discussion but come out later and answer more questions for us. I still think it's an amazing show that kept me on my toes, surprised me and had some great acting.