Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Welcome to Mommytown!

I am...... a Mom. I waited a while before becoming one, I’ll admit (married 8 years prior to Lily’s arrival). I watched as many beloved girlfriends before me packed up their stuff, put a For Sale sign in the lawn and left my hometown of D.I.N.K.ville for the more family friendly, Mommytown. Of course, as you well know, I eventually made it there, too. One thing about Mommytown, you’re an active citizen the moment of arrival. How do I know this? Well… a few things…


1. While at the supper table, Lily had a code Double Doo. This bothered me, oh yes, but only because I was about to eat a cookie and code clean-up would keep me from my beloved cookie. A big stinky, yucky diaper next to me while trying to eat? No biggie. But keeping me from my cookie? Not cool.

2. I went out for a quick grocery trip and realized halfway into shopping that I had dried boogers on my sleeve. I’m not sure what’s worse – the problem of having something very gross on me or the fact that I, apparently some time in the past (as they had definitely dried), hung this shirt up in my closet with boogers and never noticed. Or, worse yet, the fact that I didn’t run home in horror but finished my shopping first.

3. I hum kid tunes way too much – more so than even the latest hits on the radio (or any hits for that matter). Where’s Jeff? Has he gone for a ride? Ask me about the latest top 40 hit and you'll get something from...oh...2006. Destiny's Child split? What? Well, at least I have The Up Down Song from Bunnytown to console me.

4. I automatically assume my belongings have been relocated elsewhere by a creative little toddler. I usually begin my morning with the Find-My-Shoes-and-Hair-Brush search followed by Remove-Misc.-Items-from-the-Tub drill. On the same note, I double check the trash a lot.

5. I have made some spectacular Lily catches. I’ve never been sports savvy but boy, Mommytown has awoken some sort of catch talent buried deep within. I usually aim for the head when priority prevails. Second priority is a limb of some sort to catch and stop the fall altogether. Sometimes, I go on the offense by cupping my hand over a past-offensive corner or protruding cabinet as a speedy toddler zooms by. Also, I am genuinely sad when no one is around to witness some of my spectacular-ness. Some of these catches should go in the Guinness Book of World Records!

Mommytown is a happening place. That's for sure. This could easily be much longer but as most of you know, Mommytown Time is precious so I’ll end it here for now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was visualizing all those great catches as I read. The kid song stuck in my head is the Imagination Mover's Jump Up, Get Down. It's pretty catchy.

Karla said...

Hahaha

Krisha Brooks said...

I LOVED this post! Probably because I could relate to everything in your list...sadly enough, even the dried boogers! :) I'm definitely a resident of mommyville! And, Barry is in daddyville since John fed him a cheerio with a booger on it! LOL!

Lilypad Mom said...

I have a hard time getting "Think Big, Work Hard, Have Fun!" out of my head. Oooh - that'd be a good list too: Daddyville. A booger cheerio would HAVE to be in the top 5 of all time! :-)