Sunday, October 18, 2009

The 2009 Yamboree

We attended the 72nd Yamboree recently. Simply put, it was a blast. The weather was perfect, lots of family visitin', and some serious photo contest winnin's were to be had. So, to start off, here are a few pics from Yamboree Past...

When I was on the front of a float (I was 5, hula girl on the left).
My family still remembers this!
The other 2 hula dancers are on my FB friends list
(naturally I graduated with them- gotta love small towns!)




Memaw (in the beige coat) and I (even with her, white and orange shirt).


Karla and I (9ish yrs old)



Pre-parade when Karla and I both were in the parade.
Look at my hair!!


Now for Yamboree Present...

Memaw and Lily- Yam Duchess Past and Future.


Perfecting her wave technique


The Yamboree Queen!!


Riding the Carousel


The Yamboree Photo Contest as it is with my family in a nutshell.
For the first time in 5ish years, I didnt place (insert gasp!).
BUT, Dad recieved a 3rd place and Karla cleaned house!
She won 2 first place ribbons, a 3rd place, an honorable mention
and the giant orange ribbon is Most Unusual, the HIGHEST honor.


One of my favorite parts of the Yamboree: the Yaminals.


Yammed out (holding a toy bought by Grandma Laura).


And finally, saving the best for last....I give you....


Abraham Lincoln!
Sure he is in more modern garb (as is expected) -but wow.
Even the famous ex-President acknowledges Yamboree Awesomeness.


Mark your calendars as Oct 22, 2010 will be the Save the Date for the 73rd Yamboree. Abraham Lincoln will be there. Will YOU? (haha!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the past and present Yam photos. Yay for Karla, sorry you didn't win. Here's to next year! Where can I see Karla's award winning photos? It looks like Lily was the subject of one?

Cindy said...

Yeah, I totally want to see Karla's "Most Unusual" picture too!

I love the picture of the Yam Queen with Lily watching her. Very nice composure!

I also love the one of Lily sitting on Memaw's lap. How sweet!

I can't believe you didn't win the photo contest. I smell a rat.

Karla said...

- I'm pretty sure we took the pic of me in the cheerleading outfit and you in the majorette uniform the same day we took the star trek pics... not for the yamboree...

AND you got my ribbons wrong. :) I got two 1st place ribbons you didn't mention :), one - 2nd place, one - Honerable Mention, and one Most Unusual of the Show.. :)

Lilypad Mom said...

Karla: my memories, my blog, my captions. So THERE! >:-P Make your own blog missy! (haha!)

Karla said...

Oh good BURNNNN, Leah. :) It's all good - air hug!

Karla said...

HAHAHA - I just saw your last pic of the slide show!! hahahahahahahaha

Lilypad Mom said...

What do you mean that last picture is funny? Whaaah? Its just you- in your glasses, mooostache and goat-tee (?sp) holding all of those ribbon-winning photos. ;-) haha! Air hug! :-)