Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Trekkie That I Am

Yes, this is technically a Lily Blog. I deviate from time to time to accommodate the massive bit of randomness I wrestle with daily, but all-in-all, mostly Lily Related stuff will be found here. Please know, this post started off Lily Related then went, well...horribly awry. You have been warned.

I'll start with the Lily-Related stuff. Inspired by a previous "beaming-in" picture on this blog, I realized I had a couple more funny Beaming-In/Beaming-Out pics from the ole iPhone (notorious for blurred pics, the curse of most camera phones). Curse? Or Gift? I appeal to you: it is the latter. Case in point:

Lily beaming in (LOVE John John's face...)

John John beaming out (or maybe In from a previous Beam-Out).

Not so much Star Trek as just some cute hugging.



Now, here's where things starts going awry. I found this picture and it truly made me "LOL":



Talk about hilarious! Going further, oh yes, further...you may not know this but I know the original Star Trek intro by heart. Not only that...getting scarier here...I know how the intro deviated from the original series to the Next Generation series. Oh yes! Here goes my memory recall of the Original Star Treks series intro (not Googled nor copy/pasted!):


"These are the voyages of the Star ship Enterprise, it's 5 year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to reach out to new life and new civilizations and to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Deviations with the Next Generation Intro: "5 year" = "continuing" and "man" = "one". Deadline more vague and a wee bit more politically correct. Bless that sweet next generation.

Saving the final scare for last (it gets worse): for Halloween, I dressed up in a Star Trek dress in High School and later again post-college. The official Star Trek dress is in my closet now. I will resist putting it on now and taking a pic (lots of resistance I might add) as I know, digital photos never die. Plus, as this is a Lily Blog, I have Lily to consider. Even at 2, she may never forgive me. BUT, I do have a pic from high school which totally doesn't count (I'm in blue, Karla in yellow).

Check out our inspecting-the-earth-vehicle pose! Well, that is if you can look past that awesome perm. Ahhh the 90s. Side note: my dad took the picture. This was probably one of his most proud moments. See, I get it honestly. You know what? On second thought, I may not show this to Lily just yet.

Enough scaring has been done for one post. Live long and prosper.

6 comments:

Lilypad Mom said...

Comments from my Dad (as he helped mold me into the awesome Trekkie that I am): I do remember the photo. Vulcan Karla was scanning the alien vehicle while the "Blue Shirt" got ready for what happens to "Blue Shirts" on Star Trek (that's why Karla wore the Gold one). Live long and prosper and like McCoy would say, "I'm a Doctor, not a computer whiz!" That or just a "He's dead, Jim!" Love you guys.......DAD

Love you too, Dad! :-)

Karla said...

This is why we are the way we are.

Krisha Brooks said...

Hilarious blog! First of all, the beam in and out pictures are quite awesome!! I may just have to put a link on my blog to that one. Second, the Captain Kirk poster is awesome...just like him! And, you guys wearing those star trek dresses is the best thing ever!!! LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Love the blast from the past picture. Beaming in and out is a great way to look at the blurry photos

Cindy said...

I told John about your post and he quickly also quoted the same intro. Geez, you people. Then he quoted the Next Generation too, although he missed the "man" turning into "one". He did think that it's "to seek out new life" instead of "reach out", but I'll google that now.

You guys are just weird, in a lovable way of course.

Lilypad Mom said...

Ah dang it- it IS "seek out". Given my horrific lyrical handicap- I'll still pat myself on the back. :-)